Saturday, December 21, 2013

Nutrition and School Children

 

 Good nutrition and learning ability are known to be closely connected. I myself observed this when I taught in an elementary school in Pisgat Ze’ev last year. While I was helping the first graders with their morning assignment, some of them asked me: when the break would begin? I am hungry. I asked them didn’t you eat breakfast and they always said no. I noticed that they couldn’t concentrate on the assignment.They were nervous and often disturbed the teacher. This situation is common in Israel where a survey found that less than 30% of our children eat breakfast. It’s a little surprising in the light of what we know about the Jewish mother. But, still, this is the situation.
The positive thing about this school, however, is that it promotes healthy eating.This means that every child brings from home healthy food in a plastic-covered tray.The pupils bring, for example: bread with cheese, cut vegetables, fruits and a bottle of water.  The children are not allowed to bring sweets and junk food to school. In addition, the principal and the teachers also arrange health days during the year. There are lessons about the subject and different activities. I remember that I taught a lesson on the food pyramid. I was very impressed with the pupils' knowledge about the subject. They said that it is important to eat 3 dairy foods a day because of the calcium. "It helps us to grow" they said. They also knew that it is healthier to eat whole grains and they understood the importance of vitamins in fruits and vegetables.
Anyway, I think that parents and educators should encourage eating breakfast before the school day. The desire to avoid being late to work and school causes many of us to give up on breakfast and thus the children come to school on an empty stomach at the beginning of the school day and can’t concentrate.  When the children are not hungry they can study better and therefore achieve better results and the atmosphere in the classroom is also much more pleasant!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Natalie
    Thank you for a greart post.
    Yes, I agree with you, pupils in elementry age, should be taken care for proper Nutrition. I hope Educatores will pin point Nutrition, as a must !
    And again, thank you for bringing it to my attenion.
    Yosef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for an interesting post, Natalie.
    I was also surprised when I heard this statistic - that less than 30% of children eat breakfast, especially considering the "Jewish mother" stereotype, as you noted above, and generally, Israel being quite a food-oriented culture.
    If you want to hear my opinion, I blame my career-obsessed generation, some of whom are clearly not suited to being parents. Many of them don't cook because they work ridiculously long hours while their offspring binge out on Bamba in front of a telly getting their education from watching Big Brother. But as I said, this is just my opinion.
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Leo,
      this is also my opinion.

      Natalie.

      Delete
  3. Leo
    It is nice to hear from you that your generation is career obsessed.
    What would you recomend them to do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Natalie
    I can easily identify with your post. A great number of my students cannot concentrate during the morning class because they do not east breakfast. I think that parents need to make sure they children eat breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rakefet,

      Thank you for your comment.
      I really think parents should take responsibility, and make a change in their perception!
      Natalie

      Delete
  5. Natelie,
    I think parents should make sure their children eat breakfast before going to school.
    I have children in my class that sometimes are hungry very early in the morning, and I can guess they didn't eat breakfast. Because they are hungry they interfere.

    ReplyDelete