Friday, March 28, 2014

New Teacher in the Field


I want to share with you my first experience as a teacher in a classroom. 

As part of my technology class, I was asked to give a model lesson to twelfth graders. Needless to say, I was quite nervous since I have no previous experience and do not participate in immuney hora'a. The lesson took place at a school where the population is heterogeneous and some of the students present learning challenges. It was not meant to be an easy task. I had some concerns. First of all, this is a twelfth grade class and approaching them with no prior experience seemed to me like a complicated task. Secondly, I had heard that the learning environment was complex. thirdly, I had had no prior experience in standing before a classroom and here i was, asked to dive into the deep end of the pool. Despite all my concerns, the experience was strong and meaningful. I met some wonderful students who were curious and collaborative and even made me think about changing my final choice of school and age group that I would teach in the future. It made me rethink the problematics of pre-defining students. I believe that students evolve and develop depending on the teacher who stands before them. A teacher with no pre-concieved notions about his students, who creates a dialogue that respects and empowers the students will discover that his students are collaborative and motivated. Of course, this is a somewhat simplistic assessment based on a single lesson, but it certainly gave me motivation moving forward. 

3 comments:

  1. Dear Ayala, thank you for an interesting post. I am happy to hear that your first teaching experience was a positive one. Who knows? You might even consider teaching high school in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ayala,

    I'm very happy you had a positive experience on your first lesson. I will be interested to hear more about your future lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ayala,
    Thank you for your interesting post. I'm happy you had a good and positive experience at school!

    ReplyDelete