Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Struggling Spanish Learner




Ever since I was a young girl, I have always wanted to learn Spanish. In this post I would like to describe my difficulties in acquiring this third language as a student at university. 

In my first year at the Hebrew University, I enrolled at the Latin and Spanish Department.  As a first year student, I had to take an annual course in Spanish. I took Spanish for beginners with a professor who could barely speak Hebrew, or explain the material in a language other than Spanish. Since most of the students had backpacked in Central and South America, they were able to understand what the teacher said in class. I felt that the professor only paid attention to the students whose Spanish was intermediate while intentionally ignoring the ones who could not understand Spanish whatsoever.

 I am certain that the intermediate students did not feel as lost as I did in these classes. I remember sitting in that classroom, and feeling stupid because I could neither understand what the teacher was saying, nor the topic she was teaching.
Throughout that year, I worked at home for many hours in order to cover the material studied in class. I remember doing grammar exercises and trying to memorize all the irregular verbs in Spanish. All in all, I cannot say that this hard work actually paid off.

 For me, one of the most difficult issues was to study a grammar topic which does not have an equivalent in neither Hebrew nor English. For Example: Spanish has a past tense called the imperfecto. It is a mixture of the present perfect, past progressive and more components. It is also used for telling time and stating one's age. Understanding the imperfecto was very challenging for me.

 How do you grasp the concept of something that you have never heard of and which does not exist in the languages that you speak?

I feel that for me the imperfecto was the last straw. At the end of the semester, feeling extremely frustrated, I left the Spanish and Latin Studies Department and dropped Spanish all together .
 I am certain that if I'd  had a better teacher, I would not have quit my Spanish studies.
If you  asked me today what I learned during that year in Spanish class at university, it would be difficult for me to answer.
.
I did not acquire Spanish that year. Instead, it happened when I was in Guatemala.  This will be the topic of my next blog entry, so stay tuned! 

Until next time adios amigos!!!






13 comments:

  1. Rakefet
    Thank your for sharing your life with us, it was a great post.
    It does disturb me that, your teacher ignored you and your difficulties.
    So I have couple of questions, with your permission:
    1. How many students enrolled to Spanish class? and how may dropped out?
    2.What was the division i.e. how many intermediate students, and how many novice students?
    3. Did you approached someone out side the class, like this teacher's manager, to inform him of your feelings?
    Waiting for your reply
    Yosef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Yossef
    Thank you for comment. I think there were about forty students enrolled to the course and I believe the most of whom where intermediate students because they backpacked in South America. I have no idea hoe many students dropped out but I think there were a few who left the department all together.
    I did't try to talk to anyone from the department because I felt that was useless, Throughout that year. many people told me that the head of the department knew that this professor can't teach but the university can't fire her because she has tenure,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting Rakefet!!
    I managed to learn some spanish on my own through watching TV.
    I often find that learning a language in a classroom is not necessarily the best way to learn a language.
    Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rakefet,

    As someone who is interested in languages, likes reflecting on language learning and blogs about it, I really enjoyed reading your post. Learning a structure that doesn't exist in L1 or another language you know can be extremely difficult - and frustrating. Imagine what our learners go through when they are trying to grapple with the Present Perfect in English!

    Of course as a firm believer in the Lexical approach I'd say she should have exposed you to you a lot of examples of the target structure (Imperfecto) before dealing with the rules. But I also understand that often students want to understand the logic behind every unknown structure and you as a teacher has to appease them somehow. It raises a lot of interesting issues.

    What I am particularly interested in is whether reflecting on the process of learning a new language and the frustration you felt has affected the way you perceive your role as teacher.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Leo
    The frustration I felt has deeply affected the way I perceive my role as a teacher
    .
    Acquiring a second or a third language is a process which has an emotional impact on the learner. Since English is not my mother tongue, I can easily identify with my students and understand their frustrations as ESL learners. As teachers, we need to inspire and support our students, constantly showing the pupils that we believe in them. With our help and support, they will be able to overcome their difficulties as ESL Learners. Once a student has given up, it will be quite impossible to convince him to keep trying. All in all, we must bear in mind that motivation is a key component in second language acquisition.

    Moreover, Teachers definitely need to pay more attention to grammatical structures which do not exist in their students' native language and look for varied ways to help them acquire these structures.

    I wish everyone Happy Hanukkah!
    See you on December 4th

    Rakefet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rakefet, I only got to read your blog entry today (thank heavens for Hanukkah vacation). I identified with the frustration you felt when learning Spanish, after I faced the same frustration but without having the option of quitting because I relocated to Spain without speaking Spanish. I was surrounded by people who spoke only Spanish and had to adapt. In the end, I did manage to acquire a satisfactory knowledge of the language. To answer your comment, I believe that necessity is a strong motivation in learning a language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ayala I am so happy that you have read my blog entry! I understand exactly how you felt when moving to Spain without being able to speak Spanish. When I went to Guatemala, I couldn't speak Spanish at all. I found myself on my own in a foreign country and I had no other choice but to lean Spanish. I agree with you that necessity is a strong motivation in learning a language. If you live or travel in a foreign country whose native language you cannot speak , you have to do whatever you can to acquire the basics in that language.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Rakefet
    Thank you for a well written and very interesting post. I enjoyed reading the post but more so I enjoyed reading the comments. I also agree with you and Snait that necessity is a strong motivation, and I relate to Chen's comment, I learned my English (at the beginning) from the T.V and I'm not so bad (hahaha).
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Rachel
    I think most Israelis learn English by watching T.V and listening to music. In order to acquire a language, one has to exposed to the language, Because Informal exposure can benefit language learning, I think that we should try to incorporate more music and videos in our English classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Rakefet,

    Thank you for sharing with us your experience.

    I was sorry to read that you had such bad experience with your Spanish studies.if you like this language and culture don't give up.I suggest you to try again in a different way, maybe as a hoby!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Natalie
    You have to wait for my second post...It's no over till the fat lady things...:)
    There's more to come..
    Rakefet

    ReplyDelete